9.30.2004

Thank God fo Anti-Virus Programs!!!

Tonight, I came home to a disturbing sight. We got home late around 9:00 PM. We checked the mail and I put Jen to bed. I walk into my computer room to find two BSOD.

sonofabitch!


Two screens because I recently connected the 14" LCD as the second monitor under WinXP. The dual monitor setup has been nice. I've been watching Arrested Development at the suggestion of Jon Larkowski. The LCD has become the "television" while I work on the 19" CRT.

Anyway, back to the BSOD. I read the details of the BS (heh) and apparently there was a page fault in AVG. AVG is an anti-virus offering from Grisoft. I downloaded and installed AVG Free Edition in spite of the old adage of "You get what you pay for."

Technically, AVG Anti-Virus performed it's duty. It's a good program and thorough. However, preventing a machine from operating is not the most effective way to prevent viruses. Nor is it any way to market a product. Why on earth would I spend money with this comany's products when a stripped down version crashed my machine?

Looking for a cheap replacement anti-virus program. Any suggestions?

No comments: